Cannot open kdewallet after upgrade to KDE 4.13.3

Bernhard Scheirle bernhard+kde at scheirle.de
Sun Jul 20 10:23:29 BST 2014

On Saturday 19 July 2014 at 17:37:41 Cristian Ogrezeanu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I regularly copy my ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl file to an
> external drive to have a backup if something went wrong. Never had any
> problem until a few days ago when I upgraded from 4.13.2 to 4.13.3. After
> upgrading I went to ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet to manually backup as usual
> and saw there was a new file named kdewallet.salt, which I had never seen
> before (because it wasn't there before). In a moment of "genious" I just
> deleted that kdewallet.salt file thinking it was just some temp file.
> Clearly I messed up as now I can't open my wallet anymore, it won't take my
> password and fails with "Error code -9: Read error - possibly incorrect
> password.". I can't recover any copy of the wallet prior to the upgrade so
> I'm stuck. All my passwords are in there and I know not what to do. I've
> already tried opening the wallet on a system with KDE 4.11 but it fails
> with "unsuported file revision" or something similar. Any ideas anyone ? :(

I didn't noticed this additional .salt file till I read this email.
I assume quite a few people could run into a similar problem.

But why is this salt information not stored inside the .kwl file? (The .kwl
file without the salt is already not backwards compatible.)

Also not storing the salt in the .kwl file makes the "save as" option of the
kwallet gui useless, because the salt is not saved as well and therefore the
exported file can not be opened again (on a different Machine).

Greetings
Bernhard