Restoring a KMail folder from a generic backup

Frank Steinmetzger Warp_7 at gmx.de
Wed Jul 16 16:10:36 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 03:10:48PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> > > Thanks Frank, unfortunately things have changed recently. I checked both
> > > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail and ~/.local/share/local-mail, and came up empty.
> > > have previously restored the plain text files when I made this type of
> > > blunder before. Some recent changes in kmail have moved the mail storage
> > > someplace else. I fear that it might be in a database (akonadi?) along
> > > with
> > > all of the rest KDE configuration, which would make a targeted restoration
> > > very difficult.
> >
> > make sure you have hidden files visible - the subdirectories are now hidden
> > mine are in /home/myuser/.local/share/.local-mail-
> > directory/.whatevermailfolder (notice the dot in the beginning) and some of
> > them are hidden folders, some not
> I have never quite understood why some files and directories inside .local are
> hidden.  You only go into .local when you need to find some mail manually, and
> having them hidden just seems to be done to make life difficult for the user!

That's due to the (unofficial?) extension to the maildir format that KMail
uses. Normally, you can only have subfolders OR mails in a maildir folder, but
KMail offers both. And in order to not interfere with maildir, it uses a
hidden folder. (If I uderstand that correctly)
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Ich möchte nicht, daß irgendetwas von mir auf einem sozialen Netzwerk landet.

In the past one had to kill the dragon to marry the virgin.
Nowadays there are no more virgins, instead you get to marry the dragon.