Restoring a KMail folder from a generic backup

Frank Steinmetzger Warp_7 at gmx.de
Tue Jul 15 12:28:10 BST 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 01:04:57PM -0400, John M Cavallo wrote:
> I am using KMail 4.10.5 on a Linux system and have a regular backup of my
> entire home directory. I was manually cleaning up my KMail folders using
> 'Archive Folder...' with the 'Delete folder and subfolders after completion'
> when I accidentally overwrote an archive of another folder. Is there a way of
> restoring the lost mail folder from the backup?

Well, go to the backup folder and live folder¹ with $file_manager and copy it
back. AFAIK, KMail uses a Maildir “dialect”, so you can even copy single
mails. If you don’t trust that or fear you would overwrite even more in the
process, then create a new subfolder in KMail, exit KMail, and copy your
backup in there. You can then start KMail again and sort out the emails from
there.

¹ In the past, emails were stored in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/Mail. But with
KMail 2, at some point the switch was made to ~/.local/share/local-mail for
your local folders.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Ich möchte nicht, daß irgendetwas von mir auf einem sozialen Netzwerk landet.

Ein Nickerchen hinterm Lenkrad schützt vorm Älterwerden.