window snap ignores window border but open doesn't

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Jan 5 22:26:06 GMT 2014

On Friday, November 22, 2013 05:20:34 AM Duncan wrote:
> Wes Hardin posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:59:51 -0600 as excerpted:
> > Don't let this make you think I like or agree with the change; I hate
> > it.  I fully support making it optional because some people do like it
> > but for my work flow it is non-helpful at best and counterproductive in
> > most instances.  I don't even care if it's the default behavior, I just
> > wish there was a way to turn it off.
>
> ++
>
> I use kde because it's customizable.  This smacks of gnome "there's only
> one true way and it's our way" ideology.
>
> As I (believe I) said in the other thread, tho, one way to disable the
> effect is to use window rules to hard-position things.  I do that for
> some windows, but it doesn't work well for windows like konsole where I
> very often work with two side-by-side windows on my primary monitor, and
> occasionally work with four windows, two on each of my main monitors (of
> three, the third the same resolution but half the size, used for full-
> time display of a near-full-monitor superkaramba theme).
>
> (Full screenshot of three full-hd monitors "stacked", 1920x3240, tho it
> shows pan with the kde lists open and claws-mail with the LXer feeds
> open, plus aurora/firefox in the background behind the semi-transparent
> claws-mail window, not konsole.
>
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/11/duncan-fullscreen.png )

I got annoyed with this pseudo-feature and turned off snapping for a while,
but that was more annoying too, just like Windows' lack of window-snapping,
so reminiscent of Win3.1. So I looked into progress of any bugs reported to
see if it had been fixed but unfortunately I only see that the developer
who dropped this little turd of a change on a very basic window-layout
property spends more time justifying (thinly) whatever rationale he had in
doing it than considering any other options.

However, there is a KWin script that seems to work for me in making things
normal again so I can turn snapping back on:

    http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=160851

Note: I only use a single-monitor laptop and a decoration scheme with
square corners.