qdbus /ScreenSaver Lock fails

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 4 06:28:48 GMT 2014

David L posted on Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:22:48 -0800 as excerpted:

> I just upgraded to 13.10 and a script that used to work for me stopped
> working.

13.10?  You're on a kde list, and kde is only up to 4.12.x.  Where'd the
13.10 come from (opensuse or kubuntu, maybe?, they use year-based
versions, which that appears to be), and shouldn't you be posting to that
list if you're using that version number?

Seriously, a dbus call to org.FreeDesktop.ScreenSaver might happen to
work on a kde desktop (or not, thus this thread), but it's not
org.kde... , which should be a hint that perhaps either your distro lists/
forums or the freedesktop.org lists/forums might be more appropriate.
(I'd try the distro first.)

Tho if you're lucky, someone here will have a more useful answer than
mine, too.  I'm just trying to point you at hopefully somewhere where
you'll be more likely to get better answers, faster, since this doesn't
appear to be directly a kde issue.

(FWIW, I'd /guess/ that your distro tightened up its security around dbus,
so users can't so easily interfere with each other now, and that's what
blocked you.  Someone with enough knowledge of the distro and its dbus
policies should therefore be able to tell you what bit of configuration
to adjust where, to get that call to work, or help you find some other
solution that will work as an alternative, one or the other.  But that's
more likely to be distro side than here, unless someone with that
knowledge just happens to be on-list here as well.)