Ark completely useless in common user scenarios

Matteo Italia matteo at mitalia.net
Fri Aug 29 18:15:44 BST 2014

On 29 agosto 2014 18:52:12 CEST, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

>On 08/29/2014 07:57 AM, ianseeks wrote:
>> On Friday 29 Aug 2014 02:42:02 Matteo Italia wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> it's probably about 2 years since I switched to KDE, and it's mostly
>>> been a pleasant journey; but since day zero, I've always had
>problems
>>> with Ark, which, in my opinion, has several known bugs which really
>>> cripple with the most common usage scenarios.
>> i've never had any problems with Ark myself but then again i don;t
>use it
>> much.
>>
>> Have you logged any errors in the bug tracking system ?  You'll also
>need to
>> provide some version numbers of Ark/KDE etc you are using for someone
>to make
>> any useful replies.
>>

>>> Suppose that a new KDE user - coming from WinRar, 7zip, PeaZip,
>>> XArchiver, FileRoller, whatever - wants to open some document inside
>>> zip; he double clicks on the .zip and ark shows up. Nothing
>particularly
>>> strange here (althought the UI could be somewhat less minimal).
>>>

>Look up the commands to unzip unrar untar, etc. and do all this from a
>command line.
>It's very straight-forward and unambiguous. Don't depend on Windows
>habits!
>
>--doug

I know my tar xf/unzip/7z x quite well, thank you, but you are missing the point.

What I'm saying is
- a piece of software essential in any modern DE (the archive manager) in KDE is utterly broken for even the most basic use cases;
- the situation is unchanged since several years, despite these shortcomings being well known;
- there are some interesting possibilities already available in KDE (KIO-based archive browsing) that may be worth investigating to potentially replace the broken Ark at least in several common use scenarios.

tar/unzip have nothing to do with this; they are fine and everything to extract a whole archive (and they are typically the fastest to extract loads if files), but they are clunky to use to pick a single file, and are definitely *not* user friendly for the average user. They are great tools, but for a different use case.