How to add a language translation from svn?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Aug 15 09:15:47 BST 2014

Hi,

On Friday, 2014-08-15, 13:37:51, Shrinivasan T wrote:
> I use kubuntu 14.04
>
> My language is Tamil (ta)
>
> Tamil translations packs are not available in the repo.
>
> But, I can see them in the SVN repo here.
> http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=ta
>
> I checked out the po files application files in stable.
>
> svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/stable/l10n-kde4/ta/messages
>
> Now, Where to place these files to see KDE in Tamil?

The .po files are the input for the translators, these files are not used
during application runtime.
Part of the "build" process for translations is a task that generates .mo
files from these which can then be loaded by applications.

If you distributor doesn't have them for your target language, then I guess
the simplest way is to contact the translation team.
At least some of its members are likely to have the .mo files for testing and
thus know exactly where to put them.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring