What is baloo_file_extractor and why is it humping my hard drive?

O.Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Fri Apr 18 09:27:09 BST 2014

On Friday 18 April 2014 9:51:21 AM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2014-04-18, 09:09:11, O.Sinclair wrote:
> > to me it boils down to: who in the name of all possible higher powers do
> > really sit and "tag" their files? So far I know noone who does and that
> > includes me.
>
> I think it is important to consider that tags are not the only metadata a
> file can have.
>
> Quite some metadata is automatic, either inherent in the actual data itself
> of attached as part of the storage format.
>
> Music has duration, genre, artist, probably rating, etc.
> Pictures have size, timestamp, potentially geo information, also rating,
> etc.
>
> Tags are only one kind of information that can be associated with a piece of
> user data.
> Dismissing a concept because one form of input isn't used is to me a bit
> like saying there is no use for computers because nobody re-types all their
> handwritten letters.
> As if computers could only ever be used to write text documents :)
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
good point and I am happy to acknowledge that I do use desktop search
(nepomuk, now baloo) frequently. Despite the lack of tag search.

Still, why enable tagging but no tag search? And I still will say that the
whole desktop search actually is a "power user" thing.  Does not mean that
computers are not used instead of handwriting but that many users are not even
aware of the "superkey" in Windows or the ALT-F2 in KDE.

Still, to get off my ranting:
1. there is a known bug in Baloo that sometimes creates bad disk access,
search it as I can not remember the exact cause
2. in my opinion Baloo is a far better concept than Nepomuk
3. I do not agree on the "simplified" kcm, I liked the old one better
4. and I think semantic search should be disabled for the user to enable by
default, not the other way around