KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Michael michael.the.optimist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:00:46 GMT 2013

Am Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:45:55 +0100
schrieb Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org>:

> On Tuesday, 2013-10-29, 06:48:40, Michael wrote:
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > Am Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:36:02 +0100
> >
> > schrieb Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 at gmx.de>:
>
> > > I suppose right now the migration to 5.0 takes lots of developer
> > > resources, so I imagine fixing bugs in “obsolete” 4 gets even less
> > > attention. I attempted fixing bugs before (and sent a patch in two
> > > instances), but it requires lots of work to get into the code,
> > > especially in bigger projects like Amarok or KMail.
> >
> > Oh, KDE4 is more or less in "maintenance-mode"?
>
> Yes and no :)
>
> In the context of this discussion, i.e. KDE's desktop environment,
> yes. In the larger context of all KDE products, no.
>
> Duncan already explained that in more detail :)

In *waaaay* too much detail. I really did not want to be "too" rude as I
informed him about my concerns there (telling people possible flaws is
always a tricky thing which I did not master yet), but am I really the
only one that feels somewhat "annoyed" by his extremely longish and in
times painfully repetitive mails? :-/

And on the thread itself, I did not talk about any applications, I
only speak of the UI + widgets and its issues. I know the threshold
might be fuzzy there sometimes.

So, KDE4 is officially abandoned, great! :-(

not so optimistic
Michael