KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 16:20:15 GMT 2013

Michael posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:59:12 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hell! Don't take it the wrong way, but I strongly suggest you rethink
> your way of "communicating" on mailinglists. You went in such lengths in
> absolutely unrelated topics and even with slightly related topics you
> went by far, far, far, far to deep. It was really no pleasure at all to
> read it all, which I had to as courtesy demands it, as I did ask for
> feedback. And what I took from your 25.457 characters in 441 lines and
> 4270 words would fit in roundabout 10-20 lines.

FWIW, I'm aware of the situation, and/but...

I do in fact have quite a collection of thanks from people who find my
"essays" useful enough to thank me, and in some cases, to actually have a
"Duncan folder" where they save those "essays" for further reference. =:^)

OTOH, I'm also aware that some people find them intolerable, to the point
of killfiling me -- which I'm OK with as I've always considered
killfiling an absolute right on the net (that being one of the reasons I
prefer newsgroups and mailing lists to web forums, where killfiling is
often not possible), no reason needed, and in fact IMO it's often better
no reason given, since most "you're killfiled, plonk!" posts I've seen
would have been better not posted at all.  (I seldom make such posts
myself as if it really /has/ gotten to the point I'm plonking, I seldom
see what further positive contribution that last post from my end could
make.  From their perspective I guess I just stop replying... letting
them have the last word.)

I guess most people are somewhere in between, skimming/reading my
"epistles" with varying degrees of impatience.

> If you really feel the urge to go into such detail, do everyone on the
> list a favour and divide your mails in two parts.

I am /trying/ to develop the habit of doing a TL;DR paragraph near the
top when length justifies, but I'm afraid I've not made it a particularly
regular habit just yet.

FWIW, thanks for the reminder that I need to keep working at it.  As I
said at the top, I /am/ aware of the situation...