KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 14:43:49 GMT 2013

Frank Steinmetzger posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:36:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> But from a convenience standpoint, KDE beats them all with nice extra
> features (KIO, global keyboard shortcuts, range of consistent
> base-applications). And even though I have some issues with it now and
> then (like reliable and *easy*
> file transfer via Bluetooth), I come back to KDE every time, despite it
> taking 20 hours to compile on an Atom. ^^

FWIW, I run an old first-gen 32-bit-only atom netbook here too.  But I
couldn't tell you how long kde or anything else takes to build on it,
because I have a 32-bit build-image chroot on my main 6-core Athlon fx
with 16 gigs RAM and dual SSDs in btrfs raid1 mode.  That's where I do
all my atom/netbook targeted update builds, then rsync them across to the
netbook.  Tho I only actually update the netbook every year or longer...
it's still running kde 4.6, IIRC, and I really should update it again,
one of these days...