KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 14:35:29 GMT 2013

Michael posted on Tue, 29 Oct 2013 06:48:40 +0100 as excerpted:

> Oh, KDE4 is more or less in "maintenance-mode"? Err... scratch that. As
> of now I still believe maintenance is something that does not apply well
> to the KDE-kind-of development-style, so KDE4 is more or less obsolete
> now?

That would seem to be the case, yes.

> Well, it would fit the (current and as of now unofficial)
> description. If KDE5 will have the same QA-style, I guess KDE will go
> into the history books of open source software, as always shiny but
> buggy to a degree that it may even be unusable.

Call me an optimist (heh, wrote that before noting your email address
=:^) if you will, but I believe the kdeers are on the right track with
this kde frameworks five stuff.

Both the kde foundations and the qt it's based on are becoming a lot more
modular, with the ability for developers to pick and choose the
dependencies they want/need without having to bring in the whole big
currently monolithic qtlibs and kdelibs.

Qt itself is maturing as a developer-community-based toolkit in its own
right, and qt5 is far more community-driven than any qt ever before in
history.  As part of that, it's both expanding and going modular, with
most of its components becoming optional -- developers only pull in what
they need, and will no longer have to depend on (and ship, for platforms
where bundling is common) the parts they don't pull in.  As part of the
expansion and because it /is/ more community focused now and kde has been
and remains a large part of that community, parts of what were kdelibs
are now becoming part of qt5.  But at the same time, because qt's
becoming more modular and much of it is now optional, all those extra
features aren't bloating qt5 out of control, because if a developer
doesn't need them he simply won't pull them in, and the modular
components that are pulled in may well be far slimmer with qt5 than with
qt4.

At the same time, kdelibs and the kdebase platform is similarly
modularizing, allowing the same choice at the kde developer and user
level as well as blurring the lines between what's qt and what's kde,
since parts that were once kdelibs are now qt, but either way, they're
now optional, so a formerly kde app may actually find itself only needing
qt now, and even if it does pull in some kde libraries, because both the
kde libs and qt are going modular, the dependencies may now well be
smaller as a full kde app than they were previously as a qt-only app!

Up the stack at the application level, kde5 is breaking up and shipping
most individual apps with their own version tagging and release timing,
so apps that are evolving fast can ship updates every month or even every
week if they wish, while already mature apps in primarily maintenance
mode might ship an update a year, mostly just to keep them building on
current libraries with current tools, with the occasional security update
as well when necessary.

So the kde frameworks 5 core is going to be MUCH smaller, while most of
the bundled apps we know as kde today will be unbundled and shipped
separately, either as individual apps or possibly as a functional bundle
-- dolphin and kmail and rekonq and konqueror and plasma will likely all
release separately, with their own versions.  (Actually, some of them
have their own versions now; kmail is version 2.something these days for
instance, but nobody knows their kmail version without looking, they
simply say kmail 4.11.2 or whatever, the kde version.)  But kdegames (for
example) may still ship as a kdegames bundle, with a common kdegames (not
kde) version.

That means currently qt-but-non-kde apps and desktop options may become
more popular as well.  There's smplayer, and the razor-qt desktop.

The effect should be that individual kde apps will be chosen on their
merits, no longer simply because they're part of kde, and people doing
what I'm effectively already doing here, mixing a few kde apps with a few
gtk apps with a few independent apps, picking the app in each case that
best fits their needs, will become much more common.

Of course since I'm effectively already doing that, rejecting kmail since
I don't like its akonadi and semantic-desktop dependencies and don't need
that additional functionality, preferring the gtk-based claws-mail, and
preferring firefox to konqueror/rekonq, but running it all on a (semantic-
desktopless) core kde desktop including plasma.

But what's going to be interesting is what happens with plasma vs the
relatively new and much lighter razor-qt.  I expect the latter to become
very popular as a kde-lite desktop base, while plasma will continue to be
the full-featured alternative.  And then there's lxde, formerly a gtk-
based "lite" desktop, that's switching to qt and cooperating with razor-
qt in some development areas.  I expect quite a few former lxde folks
will end up running more kde apps, since the dependency gap will be FAR
smaller than it was with gtk, and some former kde/plasma users will end
up finding they prefer the lxde desktop as well, since it'll now
integrate far better with the kde and other qt apps they continue to run.

So the qt5/kde-frameworks-five generation is going to bring with it an
entirely new level of choice and flexibility, both at the developer and
user levels, and it's going to be very interesting indeed to watch how
that ends up working, and what the fallout is in terms of app popularity
say five years from now.  Throw in the coming X-to-wayland switch, and
the Linux application and desktop landscape could look VASTLY different
five years from now!  Which apps will survive and thrive, and which will
lose popularity and may even cease development all together?  Will there
be a new sort of bundling going on to replace the desktop environment
paradigm that seems to be dissolving before our eyes, or will independent
flexibility be the rule of the day?