cannot cut/copy with dolphin

Mon Oct 28 12:06:40 GMT 2013

On Monday 28 Oct 2013 10:31:12 AM Duncan wrote:
> Kishore Jonnalagadda posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:06:53 +0530 as
>
> excerpted:
> > I can't be sure from when this problem occurs but its quite recent. I'm
> > on KDE 4.11.2 and i cannot cut or copy files in dolphin with either the
> > context menu or the CTRL+C and CTRL+V shortcuts.
> >
> > I tried installing konqueror and the problem is the same in there.
> > The problem does not exist for a new user that i create.
> > Copy/Move by drag&drop operations works fine.
> >
> > When i try to cut a file, the file briefly becomes light shaded (like it
> > usually does when a file or folder is cut) but then restores itself to
> > the normal icon in about a second. When i click copy on any file i do
> > not get the paste option like i would expect it to. I do notice that
> > klipper updates the file path each time i try to cut or copy.
> >
> > Do anybody know what could lead to this?
>
> That's a very interesting problem.  I have little idea what this issue
> might be, but the fact that it exists for your normal user but NOT for a
> new user indicates it HAS to be something in your normal user's config.
>
> That means the problem should be resolvable by bisection. =:^)  The
> general idea of bisection is to repeatedly test whether the problem is
> there or not, cutting the test space (the number of config files in this
> case) roughly in half each time, depending on the results of the previous
> test.
>
> More specifically, nearly all of a user's kde config is found in the
> $KDEHOME directory (normally ~/.kde, tho some distros will default that
> to ~/.kde4 or some such), so your first test will be to verify that the
> problem disappears if you start with a clean $KDEHOME.
>
> To do that, while either not running kde (perhaps from the text-mode
> commandline) or while logged in as superuser so your user's kde config
> isn't being used, rename the ~/.kde directory to something else, say
> ~/.kde.backup.
>
> Then login to kde as that user and confirm that the problem no longer
> exists.  Assuming it doesn't, you've confirmed that the problem is in a
> config file somewhere in your $KDEHOME directory.
>
> Next, within the $KDEHOME directory, pretty much all the config is in two
> subdirs, $KDEHOME/share/config, and $KDEHOME/share/apps.  Most of the
> actual /config/ is in config (duh!), while apps is other application
> data, so we'll guess it's in config and try the same process with it.
>
> Again without kde running as that user, delete the new test $KDEHOME dir
> created by the test, and rename the backup copy back to its original name.
>
> Then navigate to $KDEHOME/share, and rename the config subdir to
> something else, say config.backup.
>
> Again login as that user and check if the problem exists again or not.
>
> If it doesn't, you've now confirmed the problem is within the config
> subdir; if the problem exists, it's NOT in the config subdir, so try apps.
>
> Now assuming it's in config, again without kde running as that user, blow
> [...]

Thanks Duncan! Indeed i followed a similar process and came down to
kdeconnect. kdeconnect allows your computer to pair with itself which is
strange! Pairing with itself was the source of the problem. I don't know the
technical reason behind it but i think it has to do with kdeconnect's feature
of sharing the clipboard.
--
Cheers!
Kishore