KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Oct 27 12:08:10 GMT 2013

On Sunday, 2013-10-27, 07:54:09, Michael wrote:

> Granted, not all issues will face on every system, something triggers
> the issues, sure. Not all users will think some stuff is implemented
> weird and in a rather un-usable state (even if I think something must
> be wrong with them then, as I can even understand the Gnome-decisions
> and way of implementing things!), not everyone has the same need and
> idea for a feature and how to implement it. Some may never have any
> issue whatsoever, be it just coincidence or they just don't use that
> particular feature or at least not in a way that the issues would show
> itself.

I guess this is at the heart of the problem, i.e. issues or weird behavior
only triggered under certain circumstances.
Computer systems have a huge variety of aspects, each potentially contributing
to the observed behavior.

It often takes a concerted effort of many people to narrow down those
candidates to the actually contributing factors in order to make a problem
reproducable with enough reliability to analyse and fix it (including
verification of the solution).

> So, that all said, what do you guys, users and maybe even developers of
> KDE, think? I don't want to come around as rude or overly harsh, as
> really, I think KDE is a great Desktop Environment, it just has some
> really rough edges. Is it just me, or are others also thinking KDE
> could / should invest more efforts in QA and maybe less in implementing
> new stuff? I know, "send patch" yada yada... that does not apply here,
> at least not well enough.

It does apply here as well. While sending a patch is a particular form of
contribution, e.g. providing a potential fix, it is generally a suggestion to
get involved [1] in the process of finding a solution.

That process starts at, as I outline above, narrowing down contributing
factors, ideally resulting in a situation that will show the faulty behavior
on a development setup.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Quality