Bizarre window snap at screen borders

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Oct 20 12:54:13 BST 2013

Roberto Ragusa posted on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 10:31:11 +0200 as excerpted:

> after upgrading to KDE SC 4.11.2 (Fedora 19) from 4.10, I'm seeing a
> bizarre alignment of window borders at screen edges.
>
> In particular the windows go a couple of pixels beyond the edge, and
> their decoration goes out of the screen, but only on the left and bottom
> part of the screen, while the top and right screen edge continue to work
> in the same old way (decoration size is accounted for and is not pushed
> out of the screen).
>
> I can't believe it's a wanted change, as it is not consistent on all 4
> edges.
>
> The annoying part is that it is not possible to grab the border to
> resize the window (and it's visually quite ugly too).
>
> Anyone experiencing this? Is there an open bug already?

I had seen something similar, but hadn't traced the problem as finely as
you have.  I have my borders set really small so didn't notice that bit,
but I *DID* notice that I was sometimes unable to grab an edge of the
window if it were too close to the edge of the monitor (I have a multi-
monitor setup and noticed it on the between monitor borders too) and
resize, when I had been able to do so before.  And that was frustrating.

But I'm actually running kde-4.11-live-branch and after reading this post
I realized I hadn't seen the problem after the last update, and couldn't
reproduce it on demand ATM either, tho I can't say for /sure/ that it's
fixed because as I said I hadn't resolved the problem to the extent that
you have, but anyway, with a bit of luck it's now fixed and 4.11.3
release (tagging due on Oct. 31 and release on Nov 5, according to the
schedule on kde techbase) should have the fix when it comes out.

Meanwhile, the resize workaround I had been using was to use the mouse-
drag+keyboard-modkey combination.

See window manager settings (available from the window menu of any
window), actions, window actions, inner window, titlebar and frame
section.  The default mod-key is IIRC alt, but I changed it to meta (aka
the windows key, which I use in various combinations to activate various
window actions, windows key, windows actions so it's easy to remember)
here.  And the default modkey-left-button-drag action is move, modkey-
right-button-drag is resize.

So I hit modkey-right-button, clicking to drag in the window but with the
modkey active so it activates the associated window action instead, and
drag to resize with that modkey-right-click anywhere in the window, not
just on the edges.  That way I don't have to grab the (small) border, and
can instead just modkey-right-click in the general area to get the resize
arrow, and it's much easier since that effectively makes the whole window
a giant resize button, kind of like targeting the broad side of the barn,
it's hard to miss! =:^)