KDE 4.11.2 intermittently forgets plasmoids (2013-10-06)

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 14:30:00 BST 2013

Hello, Everyone
Lately after I logout of KDE and then log back in, my desktop
background is sometimes changed to something that I did NOT have as my
background, and all of my Plasmoids are gone...

Here is a screenshot of how my desktop is NOT supposed to look:
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-BAD

Here is a screenshot of how my desktop is supposed to look:
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-GOOD

I didn't feel like waiting until KDE loaded my desktop correctly, so I
rebooted.  Rebooting seems to be a sure way to get my desktop back to
looking like it is supposed to.

This is on Fedora 19.  KDE version is 4.11.2.  Yes, that's from the
Fedora repo kde-unstable.

A few weeks later...

Well, it did it again today.  But this time, the plasmoids, desktop
background & other settings were still gone AFTER logging in after a
reboot...  Rebooting used to be how I got all of that back...

But I tried something new.  I logged out, and then logged back in the
KDE "Safe Session"  Doing that, my desktop looked just like it is
supposed to:
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-GOOD

Unfortuately, when I log out of the safe session, and back into a
regular KDE session, it looks like this again:
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-BAD

Here is all of the stuff that KDE adds to
~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc:

############################
# Beginning of stuff       #
# that was added by KDE... #
############################

[Containments][42]
ActionPluginsSource=Global
activity=New Activity
activityId=48d4d598-4696-4774-a6e8-063344986fbc
desktop=-1
formfactor=0
geometry=0,1236,1920,1080
immutability=1
lastDesktop=-1
lastScreen=0
location=0
plugin=desktop
screen=-1
wallpaperplugin=image
wallpaperpluginmode=SingleImage
zvalue=0

[Containments][42][Wallpaper][image]
slideTimer=10
slidepaths=
userswallpapers=
wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun
wallpapercolor=0,0,0
wallpaperposition=0

[Containments][43]
ActionPluginsSource=Global
activity=New Activity
activityId=153f9881-e76b-4ce3-9632-dcfac5199741
desktop=-1
formfactor=0
geometry=1926,1236,1920,1080
immutability=1
lastDesktop=-1
lastScreen=0
location=0
plugin=desktop
screen=-1
wallpaperplugin=image
wallpaperpluginmode=SingleImage
zvalue=0

[Containments][43][Wallpaper][image]
slideTimer=10
slidepaths=
userswallpapers=
wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun
wallpapercolor=0,0,0
wallpaperposition=0

[General]
immutability=2

Someone on the Fedora KDE list thought my problem might have something
to do with Activities.  Here are screenshots of the Activities settings
when my desktop looks like it is supposed to, and when KDE seems to
"forget" how my desktop is supposed to look:
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_2-Desktop-Screenshot-GOOD-Activities_SafeModeLogin
http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_2-Desktop-Screenshot-BAD-Activities_RegularLogin

So, as things stand now, the only way to get my desktop to look the way
that I set it up to look is to logout and log back in to the KDE Safe
Mode.  So, for some reason, when I log into safe mode, KDE reads
plasma-desktop-appletsrc correctly, but when I log into a normal KDE
session, it mangles it.  Unless of course Safe Mode is getting my
desktop settings from something other than
~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

If you need any information that I am not providing, just let me know
and I will get that to you.

Steven P. Ulrick