Virtually Invisible Panel Clock

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri May 31 12:59:26 BST 2013

Mirosław Zalewski posted on Fri, 31 May 2013 11:05:34 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 31/05/2013 at 03:22, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> $SUBJECT was meant literally:
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/kdemageialowfipanelclock1200-120.png
>>
>> Not nice, and looks the same in 4.10.3 in Fedora and openSUSE.
>
> Yes, I can reproduce. It seems that default plasma theme provides
> transparent panels and white text. It does look nice if you use dark
> wallpaper (which perhaps should be default). If you change wallpaper to
> lighter or white, reading may be difficult.

> Perhaps there is not much that can be done on plasma level. It should
> know what color wallpaper is and change theme color accordingly (much as
> Windows 8 does, I believe).

IIRC themes do have the ability to do a contrast-blur around text.  I
recall having that problem with something or other and looking into it at
one point.  (IIRC it was plasma popup text in my case.)

However, I'm not sure that applies to ALL text; it may only apply where
there's specific code for it for that item (as there might have been for
what I was looking at).  And even if it can be generically applied, the
need for it isn't always intuitive unless theme devs try their theme
against enough different backgrounds, since theme developers are likely
to either have a particular background applied and in mind while they're
testing, or if not a particular background, at least a light/dark
background preference, so testing against the other is unlikely unless
the thought of possible contrast issues occurs and they're deliberately
testing for them.

In theory at least, the kde shipped themes should be tested for such
contrast issues and the contrast-blur should be applied where necessary,
but as the saying goes, in theory, theory and practice are the same, too.
=:^\