Yet another failed KDE release?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun May 19 15:22:08 BST 2013

On 05/12/2013 05:13 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2013-05-10, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 05/07/2013 02:40 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, May 07, 2013 02:54:19 AM James Tyrer wrote:
>
>>> Where do you get the idea that you have "no merit in the KDE project", or
>>> that someone fixing bugs would be greeted with anything other than
>>> enthusiasm? Well, it's free software and so there's bound to be some
>>> static, but apart from that :)
>>
>> I was bluntly told so by a developer -- that formal education in
>> software development was not considered.  And also told that I needed to
>> write an application to obtain merit.
>
> Well, that is easy enough to prove wrong :)
> Even among the developers only a few have ever written a new application and
> none of those who contribute through other ways than writing code have.
>
> Obviously whoever made that claim might believe it to be true, e.g. not having
> been part of the community long enough to know about other examples.

You are absolutely correct and I agree with you.  That is my point.
However, the perception remains that writing the code for an application
and in particular writing an application is the way to obtain merit in
KDE.  This a perception that I feel needs changing.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch