virtuoso-t memory consumption

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri May 10 04:00:29 BST 2013

On 05/04/2013 05:24 AM, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> How much memory is virtuoso supposed to use? If I got it right, it shall use
> no more than the setting in System Settings/Desktop Search/Extended
> Settings/Memory usage, which is in my case 128MB.
>
> Now look at the real memory consumtion (from htop)
>

>    PID USER      PRI  NI  VIRT   RES   SHR S CPU% MEM%   TIME+  Command
> 18831 alex       39  19 2633M 1900M  4440 S  0.0 48.1 17:55.39
> /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_T18826.ini +wait
>
> It uses a virtual range of more than 2.5GB  and keeps nearly 2GB locked in
> memory (which is half of the available RAM). Is this *really* necessary? What
> is virtuoso doing with all that memory and why is the setting in System
> Settings obviously ignored? And the most important question is, how to make
> virtuoso use a reasonable amount of memory?
>
> BTW: I'm using kde-4.10.1 and virtuoso-server-6.1.6 on a gentoo system (amd64)

This is odd.  Apparently, after the upgrade, I am using virtuoso again.
  IAC, I set it to 128 MiB and it has not quite reached that amount for
virtual memory.

I did configure Nepomuk indexing to only index the current user
directory.  That might reduce memory usage.

IAC, the figure to worry about is the RESident memory usage.  And, yes,
1,900 MiB does appear a bit high.  Although, much of this is going to
get swapped out to disk -- almost all of it will be swapped out when it
isn't active.

Do you have sufficient swap memory.  When I installed my new disk, I
went from 8 GiB to 32 GiB of swap which is currently that same as
infinite swap because IIUC, the Kernel won't use that much.

You can increase use of swap memory -- but this will slow down indexing
-- by setting: "/proc/sys/vm/swappiness" to a higher value (up to 100)
to free up more RAM for other uses.

But, this doesn't address the question of why it is using that much RAM.
  How do you have Nepomuk configured?  Is it set to index the whole
disk, or just your user directory?  I think that it uses more memory,
the more it indexes.

Other than that, I really don't know.  But, there could be a problem.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch

--