Yet another failed KDE release?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed May 8 09:33:10 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-07, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 12:50 my mailbox was graced by a message from Kevin
> Krammer who wrote:

> > So
> >
> > Adobe -> vendor
> > Adobe Creative Suite -> bundle of products by vendor
> > Adobe Photoshop -> one product by vendor, also available as part of a
> > bundle
> >
> > KDE -> vendor
> > KDE Software Compiliation -> bundle of products by vendor
> > KDE Digikam -> one product by vendor, also available as part of a bundle
>
> With the profound difference that when you install Photoshop, frinstance,
> that is it; while if you want to install KMail, you are obliged to install
> as well a shitload of useless bug-ridden crap like Akonadi.

There is very little difference.

Either program will need its components to be present and working. If those
components are part of a single package/installer or sharable between
applications coming from an advanced software deployment system only changes
how often the user has to download and install those components.

Sharing of common components is one of the strengths of bundles on systems
without software dependency management facilities, because they'll only
contain those components once.

One of the most widely known bundles, Microsoft Office, even reflects that in
its installer. Individual applications can be selected for installation, the
common components are always selected.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring