virtuoso-t memory consumption

Alexander Puchmayr alexander.puchmayr at linznet.at
Sat May 4 13:24:58 BST 2013

Hi there,

How much memory is virtuoso supposed to use? If I got it right, it shall use
no more than the setting in System Settings/Desktop Search/Extended
Settings/Memory usage, which is in my case 128MB.

Now look at the real memory consumtion (from htop)

  PID USER      PRI  NI  VIRT   RES   SHR S CPU% MEM%   TIME+  Command
18831 alex       39  19 2633M 1900M  4440 S  0.0 48.1 17:55.39
/usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_T18826.ini +wait

It uses a virtual range of more than 2.5GB  and keeps nearly 2GB locked in
memory (which is half of the available RAM). Is this *really* necessary? What
is virtuoso doing with all that memory and why is the setting in System
Settings obviously ignored? And the most important question is, how to make
virtuoso use a reasonable amount of memory?

BTW: I'm using kde-4.10.1 and virtuoso-server-6.1.6 on a gentoo system (amd64)

Best regards

	Alex

PS The maximum I observed was virt >5GB  and res >2.6GB ...