Yet another failed KDE release?

Leon Feng rainofchaos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:15:16 GMT 2013

2013/3/28 dE . <de.techno at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Leon Feng <rainofchaos at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am not sure I understand this fully, isn't this what already happens?
>>>
>>> Due to the way of how distributions undergo their development cycles it
>>> effectively already increased the testing phase for software they contain.
>>> First each software is tested by the respective community's beta testers,
>>> then
>>> each software is tested even more widely by the distribution's beta phase
>>> and
>>> after that by its early upgraders.
>>> I would guess that at the point a normal user upgrades the software has
>>> been
>>> in testing for a couple of months, maybe even half a year.
>>>
>>> Lets have a look at the most recent version
>>> KDE SC 4.10 Beta 1 tag was in November 2012 at which point it is most
>>> likely
>>> tested by KDE beta testers. This continues until February 2013 (about
>>> three
>>> months).
>>>
>>> If we take openSUSE as an example distribution, its respective release is
>>> March 2013, adding another monthof testing by people who build from
>>> source.
>>> The test audience at this point has expanded to include early upgraders of
>>> openSUSE.
>>>
>>> Not sure how long each update interval for openSUSE is but if we assume
>>> one
>>> month, then enthusiastic users who are not early upgraders will probably
>>> wait
>>> for the first of those, more cautious users even for the second or third.
>>>
>>> So depending where such users are comfort zone wise, the time between
>>> start of
>>> testing and deployment will be four and six months.
>>
>> KDE release time is not the time it hit all users. The testing time is
>> very different based on distros.
>>
>> Usually Arch and [gentoo testing] is the first. They usually start
>> using a upstream released version within days or even hours.
>>
>> Then Fedora, Ubuntu, Opensuse ... They usually have 6 months or 8
>> months release time and alpha\beta test. If their is cirtical bugs,
>> they usually provide theri own patch. They provide seperate repo for
>> advance users to upgrade immediately.
>>
>> Then Debian. [gentoo stable]. They usually do not release when there
>> is still bugs exits. The time between Arch release and Debian release
>> can be as long as 1-2 years. For debian stable users, the testing time
>> is very long here.
>>
>> I checked gentoo's wiki here: [http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE] KDE
>> 4.10 is still in testing, Gentoo has not releas it yet. So dE, are you
>> using testing and complain KDE is not tested before release?
>>

> 4.10 is keyworded, meaning it's lacking testing, but no major bugs
> have been found yet.

I am glad that you know the fact that there are no major bugs found
now to block the stable release.

> This's different from KDE release cycles, and the bugs I've complained
> about (except 1) are not Gentoo specific.

 If you think your bugs repoorted are major bugs. Contact gentoo KDE
maintainer and keep it in testing until your major bugs are fixed.

> Besides I'm talking about general KDE stable releases.

The KDE release see no major issue in KDE neither. So KDE4.10 is
released as stable. And to make it clear: if you think there are any
major bugs exist so KDE 4.10 should not be released as stable. Please
give the bug number and talk with KDE release team.