Yet another failed KDE release?

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 04:23:39 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:53:01 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> >> Honestly, why can't KDE SC support seamless update from previous major
> >> release? Is it too much work to rewrite config files whose format has
> >> changed?
> >
> > This is of course intended to happen, KDE software has had configuration
> > and data modification tools for ages. My personal setup has been with me
> > for over a decade now, rarely prompting me to reconfigure things.
>
> FWIW, that's true here as well.  I've been running the same kde config,
> with /home copied over to new hardware (which on my workstation unlike my
> netbook, I upgrade a piece at a time so there's never a new computer,
> just a changed out drive, or max-change, a changed out cpu/mobo/memory/gpu
> all at the same time, as all the buses and formats had changed so to
> upgrade one I had to upgrade them all, but then it's the old hard drive
> installed in the new machine) as appropriate, since kde 2.x in late 2001,
> when I switched from MS to Linux.
>
> Yes, that's the same base kde2 config now running kde4.  Every once in
> awhile, especially after the 2.x to 3.x upgrade and later the 3.x to 4.x
> upgrade, a few months after the upgrade I go thru and check file times,
> moving files to a backup location if the mtimes haven't bumped since the
> update, to see if they get recreated and/or whether they're I lose any
> customizations.

Major releases, (1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x), use different config directories.

> And yes, there's specific files (the infamous plasma-desktop-appletsrc
> being one of them) that I keep extra backups of and usually backup before
> any major changes, as I've learned the hard way how difficult it can be
> to find and edit out the bad bits on the more complex files if something
> does go wrong.

And yes, when I hit a problem, I know how to use the bisect method to
> narrow it down to a single config file if I have to (tho after doing it a
> few times and figuring out the way kde organizes its config, I found I
> could often pick the problem file purely by name, or at minimum, reduce
> it to a handful of files right away, so the bisect is now often only 3ish
> rounds max), and am used to doing just that, in kde config files or using
> git to bisect a kernel bug, either way.

I remember reporting a phonon bug a year ago related to the config and
deprecated xine backend; but the devs ignored it possibly cause they were
rushing through releases, and creating a new tags every 10 days.