Yet another failed KDE release?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 23:54:10 GMT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:21:47 +0100
Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

> > I certainly think freedesktop.org should change it's name perhaps to
> > enterprisedesktop.org or maybe cloudesktop.org
>
> I didn't get the context of that one.

Various projects have shown their disregard for the user base and
preference for enterprise or cloud things like:

Udisks - dropping support for 6 months for features people actually
use in order to cater for sessions (it may be Arch using udisks2? before
it should have done was the problem there however, Arch has some good
but also terrible points)

systemd - perhaps not a freedesktop.org spec? but it certainly abuses
the freedesktop.org domain without allowing comments and has basically
come from Red Hats want for spinning up VMs quickly, disregarding other
priorities of the main user base.

It doesn't suit the name freedesktop because it is forcing more and
more dependencies such as polkit onto users when it could allow you to
choose and change to whatever you want when you want like spacefm
allows you to choose polkit/udisks, sudo/whatever with udevil etc..

> > especially as I am skeptical of it being implemented well
> > considering freedekstop.orgs history such as disregard for other
> > opinions and anything non linux
>
> Hmm, can you point out a freedesktop.org spec which is bound to Linux?
> Qt and KDE implement most of them can run quite nicely on BSDs as far
> as I heard.

I guess I am meaning freedesktop hosted and my above gripe may actually
be with the desktop environment dependencies that have nothing to do
with freedesktop.org specs but happens to be common to varying degrees
to all the DEs that use the specs. Perhaps you could confirm that for
me?