Yet another failed KDE release?

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 08:55:42 GMT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM, dE . <de.techno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't complain here, I use KDE since 4.2, and so far 4.10.1 runs rock
> stable, using Kubuntu 13.04 beta1

> KDE
>

> Calling people who work as volunteers and do contribute to KDE on a
> daily basis ignorants is a bit harsh, don't you think? So far I
> haven't seen you contribute to the release team and help making it
> better.

I'm asking the devs to work less and in a relaxed manner, and they've
problems with that. Everyone benefits that way. Bugs get fixed, devs are
less pressured on.

I'ld have absolutely not complained if this was not the 'stable' release,
but this's what KDE team calls stable and that's unacceptable.

> > There ain't many bug related complaints about Xfce -- it's a lot more
> > stable. I personally hardly found any bugs while using it.
> >

> Comparing apples with oranges, Xfce has only a fraction of the
> software that is shipped with a KDE SC release.

Another reason why KDE should have longer release cycle, and another reason
for the no. of bugs. Xfce being smaller, has longer releases, they wait for
years between major release, just testing it; KDE on the other hand, being
many times heavy has shorter release cycles.

> >> It pretty much sounds like frustrations. You take your own unstable
> system
> >> for
> >> a global issue. Believe me, it is not. Neither do i say, as my system is
> >>
> >> highly stable every other system is as well.
> >> As you said you do report bugs, which is highly appreciated. But like
> with
> >> all
> >> bugs, they need to be reproducable, else they are hard to fix. The more
> >> useful
> >> information the better.
>

> Yep, I went through the bug reports you listed and can't reproduce any
> of those, so maybe something is specific to your installation.
>
> Did you try removing the configuration files from the previous
> installation? It might just be cruft lying around causing this, and
> since configuration files are very individual it is very hard to
> preserve those without any glitches from time to time. KDE upgrade
> don't remove them to avoid people loosing their setups, but sometimes
> it is just a good idea to move those old files out of the way and try
> with a default configuration

You know, that's practically not possible. No one's gonna do it. Instead
the DE components should checked for this since the bulk of KDE users
upgrade.

> > You're basically trying to say here, I shouldn't complaint; and this's
> > exactly why the project is in such a horrible state. The reason why I'm
> > complaining is cause I want the situation to improve -- so does everyone
> > else.
>
> Nobody said that, it is just that you are complaining in a very
> unprofessional way, by shouting and calling people ignorants, and
> judging your installation to be the only reference. Please do test
> with a new user to make sure it is not just your setup that has a
> problem before generalizing problems you see to be KDE's fault.
> Because if you want to give lessons on how to make it better, please
> do start doing that yourself :)

I do that always, unless I misinterpreted the cause of the bug.

> > The moment you open upgraded the KDE desktop you see bugs.
>
> Not here, on the contrary, KDE has become more stable and polished
> with every release.
>
> How about joining the testing team and help with testing before the
> release instead of just calling people names afterwards? If you want
> Free Software to get better you can contribute yourself, but please do
> it in a more constructive way.

I'm running on Gentoo, and I've to build the 9999 release for the purpose,
which almost never works, and then reverting back becomes very difficult.
However I'm using the 'unstable' versions of KDE (relative to Gentoo,
according to which 4.9.5 is sable). This's solely for the purpose of
reporting bugs; but they almost never get fixed by the final stable release.

The best way to test is constant usability testing cause bugs never come up
when you're searching for them; they come up when you seriously use it for
your real tasks.

> Regards, Myriam
>
> PS. And BTW, you might have seen that we all sing with our names, how
> about signing your mails? Or is this on purpose to do anonymous
> ramblings? I am not going to call you what Slashdot would, though.

I prefer to remain anon. And I go by this name only.