Yet another failed KDE release?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Mar 22 11:53:01 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-03-22, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The biggest issue is that with each new release, there's more glitches
> > while the old ones are still there.
>
> On 22/03/2013 at 11:38, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> > And make sure you ALWAYS test with a new user or move the old config
> > files elsewhere when you do a major upgrade.
>
> Myriam, this is exactly Nikos point. Old config files laying around causes
> various issues with KDE SC. By encouraging him to triage bugs on fresh
> config, you admit that.

Myriam recommended trying bug reproduction on an established base line, in
order to determine if the problem is caused by certain setup specific things
and to give bug triagers and developers a starting point to work with.

It can be next to impossible to reproduce, thus analyze and ultimately fix a
problem if it is triggered by some configuration set or cetain user data.

Confirming an issue on the basis of "a clean slate" helps a lot, but also the
fact if an issue can not be found in such a situation, because this also
renders hints on where to look.

> Honestly, why can't KDE SC support seamless update from previous major
> release? Is it too much work to rewrite config files whose format has
> changed?

This is of course intended to happen, KDE software has had configuration and
data modification tools for ages. My personal setup has been with me for over
a decade now, rarely prompting me to reconfigure things.

Nevertheless, any setup above a certain level of complexity can contain parts
that are hard to handle and are often difficult to track down. Knowing exactly
why something happened is the precondition of preventing it from happening
again. Therefore it is always important to narrow down potential differences
until a certain confidence is achieved that the actual problem trigger has
been located and can then be analyzed in detail.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring