Setting multi-touch gestures in KDE 4.10

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 30 17:31:23 BST 2013

Franklin Weng wrote, On 07/30/2013 06:23 AM:

> Running touchegg it could get my gestures.  However I had no idea about how to link my gestures into a proper action, like closing a window or making the fonts larger.  Could anyone please give me some hints?

Franklin,

The closest i think you'll get with KDE4 is:

    kcmshell4 khotkeys

But i don't (know|think) that this is capable of multitouch gestures.

I would have to guess that you'd need a lower-level driver to translate
the intercepted gestures into something X11 could ingest (keycodes, ???)

This:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=108583#p255202
    "...There's a project called "Touchégg", you can see it
    here http://code.google.com/p/touchegg/ that allows you to
    customize gestures with up to 5 fingers. I'm testing it with
    my Kubuntu powered MacBook Air, and it's really great. It
    needs to be polished a bit, but lets you do things like "if
    I drag 4 fingers in the up direction, send Ctrl + F12 key
    combination".
seems to indicate that i'm probably right about the above w.r.t 'touchegg'.

once you assign that, then use khotkeys to assign that function
to a KDE action.

kcmshell4 khotkeys kcm_keyboard keys standard_actions mouse kcm_synaptiks

will get you most of the input-based kcm modules in one place.

I do see a Debian Wheezy package of interest:

xserver-xorg-input-multitouch

$ apt-file list xserver-xorg-input-multitouch
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/multitouch_drv.so
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-multitouch.conf
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/share/bug/xserver-xorg-input-multitouch/script
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-multitouch/README
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-multitouch/changelog.Debian.gz
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch: /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-multitouch/copyright

$ aptitude show xserver-xorg-input-multitouch
 This X input driver provides gestures support for multitouch touchpads, in particular those with integrated button.
Homepage: http://bitmath.org/code/multitouch/

--stephen