What is "DimDisplay" and why is KDE demanding it?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 29 17:07:33 BST 2013

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:41:46 +0300 as excerpted:

> In KDE 4.11 (since the first beta, currently on 4.10.97), every time I
> login I get an error message:
>
>    The profile AC tried to activate DimDisplay, a non existent action.
>    This is usually due to an installation problem or to a configuration
>    problem.
>
> I get this message every time, in a weird box at the top of the screen:
>
>    http://13o.imghost.us/NM/power_bug.png
>
> Any hints on how to stop that from happening?

Have you tried setting up a fresh user (or temporarily moving all of your
normal user config, including ~/.kde and ~/.config, elsewhere) and seeing
if the problem exists there?  That would allow you to tell whether it's
in the existing user config or not.

An educated guess is that the message is from powerdevil, the kde laptop
power management app.  I don't have it installed here, but at least solid
(part of the kde hardware management system) apparently had some major
changes for 4.11, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the existing
powerdevil power profiles no longer functioned, triggering a message such
as the above depending on what your specific user config was previous to
the upgrade.

If it turns out to be a problem with the user config, you can try
bisecting the problem with multiple rounds of move (when not running kde)
about half the remaining config files back in place or away and testing,
half of what remains each time, until you find the problem file, at which
point you can either simply delete it and start from scratch, or dive
into editing just that file, trying section by section and then line by
line until you find the problem.  (I usually prefer to pin the problem
down to a specific line, here, just so I know what the problem was, but
of course that takes a lot more patience than simply giving up and
blowing the remaining files left to test away and starting from scratch
with them, particularly for people who don't customize as much as I do so
they don't have as much to lose by blowing more of it away, as I do.)