How to set the screen resolution and gamma value?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 18 17:09:02 GMT 2013

Volker Wysk posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:51:30 +0100 as excerpted:

> Yes, that's it! You just have to install kgamma, then you get a Gamma
> control in System settings -> display and monitor -> Gamma
>
> Why, for heaven's sake, isn't something like that installed by default?!
>
> Thanks!

Here?  Because I use gentoo, which comes with only a very basic "stage
tarball", enough to configure USE flags and rebuild/reinstall the
original tarball packages and then build/install anything else I want.
"Anything else I want" could be the kde-meta package, which would install
nearly all of kde, or the individual packages I want, which pull in deps
based on required deps and optional USE flag settings, making for a much
leaner system.  Thus, there basically *IS* no default, here.  I specify
what I want and build and install it, creating my own defaults in the
process!  =:^)

On debian?  That'd be a distro policy.  You'd need to ask them, but I
guess they figure enough folks won't need/use it that they prefer to let
people decide for themselves.