How to set the screen resolution and gamma value?

Volker Wysk pf3 at volker-wysk.de
Fri Jan 18 17:02:54 GMT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013, 17:37:56 schrieb Duncan:

> Volker Wysk posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:18:38 +0100 as excerpted:
> > In KDE 4.4 I was able to set the screen's resolution.
>
> As both Kevin and Felix, I'll ask the distro, and if you changed version
> and/or what else was upgraded at the same time.

Im using Debian-testing now. I've made a fresh new install of Debian-stable
(version 6.0.6). I've only installed the "basic system tools" (or something
like this name, my system is in German), with the Debian installer, no X
server.  Then I've upgraded to testing, by doing "aptitude dist-upgrade" (with
only testing mentioned in /etc/apt/sources.list). Then I've installed KDE,
which is in version 4.8.4 in Debian-testing, at the moment. This worked fine,
no conflicts reported. (When trying to make a mixed system, with KDE 4.8.4 from
testing or unstable, and the rest stable, this destroys my entire system).

So in short: It's a fresh, new Debian-testing system.

> So the fix will be getting xorg and randr to see additional resolutions.

This has been fixed now (by a different graphics driver) -  see my answer to
Felix Miata.

> [...]
> > haven't found a control to set the gamma value.
>
> As Felix said, xorg now detects most things automatically, and the only
> things you need to set are where it can't detect automatically, or where
> you want to override the defaults.
>
> In keeping with that, xorg and most distros have switched to a multi-file
> arrangement, with each file having one or more sections.  These files are
> normally placed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (or similar location depending
> on distro, but that's one of the default locations xorg checks).  A
> monolithic xorg.conf still works, but it's mainly for backward
> compatibility, now.
>
> So I'd try with no xorg.conf first, then only add files and sections for
> settings (like XkbLayout in the above InputDevice section if needed,
> except that the new style uses InputClass sections, which work better
> with hotplugged devices like USB keyboards/mice, instead) that you want
> to override.
>
> I'd suggest looking at the xorg.conf (5) manpage.  That should give you a
> good start on the new style.  In particular, you'll probably want to look
> at the InputClass, Monitor, and Device sections.
>
> FWIW, here's some of my files.  Note that I'm running dual monitors, one
> hanging off of DVI-0, the other off of HDMI-0, so my setup is a bit more
> complex than most.  But both monitors are the same brand and model, so
> the same settings can apply to both.  (Here, I have symlinks to make
> typing easier, /etc/x -> X11 and /etc/x/conf -> xorg.conf.d, thus the
> path in my cats.):
>
> (...)
>
> You'll likely need to setup a modes section with a few more modes as
> well, given that xrandr is reporting only one available.  You can look at
> the Xorg.0.log (probably located in in /var/log/) to see what xorg is
> detecting and why it's rejecting certain resolutions.
>
> You'll note that for input, I'm only configuring devices to ignore (makes
> the log output easier to follow), and the customized acceleration on the
> one device.  They're auto-detected and just work, but I wanted a bit
> different acceleration, so that's what configured.
>
> It's also worth noting that InputDevice sections are likely now ENTIRELY
> IGNORED, with hotplugging handling things.  So you MAY not need any
> InputDevice or InputClass sections AT ALL, especially if xorg is picking
> up the "de" layout on its own as well, as it may, if the proper
> environmental vars are set.
>
> I suspect your monitor section is being ignored.  As you can see from
> mine, you point to it using an option in the Device section, now.  That
> would explain the Gamma setting not being picked up.  You'll also want a
> UseModes entry in the Monitor section, with a Modes section as well,
> where you can setup additional modes.  As you can see from the comments
> in mine, there's at least three ways to obtain reasonable modelines, the
> two webpages, and the cvt app.  As you can also see, I prefer the

Many thanks for your elaborate answer!

I won't need it, since in your other mail (2013-01-18) you've found the
solution to the problem: install kgamma!

Yours,
Volker