How to set the screen resolution and gamma value?

Volker Wysk pf3 at volker-wysk.de
Wed Jan 16 14:18:38 GMT 2013

Hello!

I've updated from KDE 4.4 to KDE 4.8.4, and now I can't set the screen's
resolution any longer. There's only one choice: 1920*1440. With this, the
screen flickers, especially when the background is bright. In addition, the
font in the menu bars is so small, I can hardly read it.

"xrandr -q" yealds:

   xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
   Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1440, current 1920 x 1440, maximum 1920 x 1440
   default connected 1920x1440+0+0 0mm x 0mm
      1920x1440       0.0*

In KDE 4.4 I was able to set the screen's resolution.

A related problem is, that the gamma value of the screen can't be set any
longer. In KDE 4.4, I've set it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        Gamma 2.15

#       Größe des Bildschirms in Millimetern
        DisplaySize 360 270
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

This no longer works. In the system settings (Systemeinstellungen) I haven't
found a control to set the gamma value.

Thanks for your help,
Volker