Remove shadows in desktop effects?

Aaron Lewis the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:19:36 GMT 2013

Hi Duncan,

I don't have time to reply your email until now!

Your explanation was really comprehensive, since I'm running Razor-Qt
with KWin (QtCurve style),

So it would be problem with Oxygen or Plasma desktop theme

I think that's what I should start investigate

Thanks!

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Aaron Lewis posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:12:24 +0800 as excerpted:
>
>> I liked the desktop effects but not the shadow around it, and I remove
>> it?
>>
>> BTW: I'm not running oxygen style, so it should be kwin configuration,
>> but don't know where to config that.
>
> Well, kwin effects configuration is desktop effects.  That's in kde
> settings under workspace appearance and behavior.  Individual effects can
> be activated/deactivated/configured on the center tab.  However, at least
> here, while I see a window translucency effect (which I use), I do NOT
> see the window borders effect you're describing, either a setting for it
> there, or for that matter, the effect itself -- I don't have it enabled,
> tho I remember playing around with it some time ago when it was first
> introduced in IIRC kde 3.5.6 or so.
>
> But unfortunately, there's a host of separately configured bits of kde
> that have an oxygen option, three of which it's fairly easy to mix up,
> tho I've managed to figure out the one, but still have trouble with the
> other two.  I suspect this MIGHT be your problem as well, and you're
> actually using oxygen in place that it counts, having set something else
> to other-than oxygen.
>
> If you're ONLY talking about the plasma desktop, NOT ordinary non-plasma
> windows, the DESKTOP THEME would be what you're looking for.  This is the
> one I've managed to separate out because it applies ONLY or ALMOST ONLY
> to the plasma desktop, and has little or nothing to to do with normal non-
> plasma windows.  The settings for this are found in kde settings,
> workspace appearance and behavior, workspace appearance, desktop theme.
> FWIW I had used the "professional" desktop theme off of kdelook for some
> time, but recently switched back to oxygen for desktop theme.
>
> Near the desktop theme in kde settings, also under workspace appearance,
> is WINDOW DECORATIONS.  This is actually the setting that I think you may
> be after, as the oxygen DECORATION (NOT style, see below for styles)
> *DOES* have a shadow/glow setting.  It can be toggled on or off or
> configured using the configure decoration button, if the oxygen
> decoration is selected.  The oxygen decoration is also one of the more
> configurable of the decorations.  However, I personally prefer the kde2
> decoration, which does NOT have the glow/shadow effect.  So you can
> either try a different decoration (like the kde2 I use) or you can stick
> with oxygen or whatever you're using, and toggle off the glow/shadow if
> you continue using oxygen or some other decoration that has a similar
> option.
>
> The third component is the one you mentioned, widget styles.  This is
> found in an entirely different spot in kde settings, under common
> appearance and behavior, application appearance, style, and will normally
> only apply to kde-based (or at least qt4-based) apps, not gtk-based or
> [...]

Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0xDFE6C29E ( http://keyserver.veridis.com )
Finger Print: 9482 448F C7C3 896C 1DFE 7DD3 2492 A7D0 DFE6 C29E