Fedora 20 and KDE "Failsafe" login

Richard Wilson richard.wilson3 at hp.com
Mon Dec 30 23:24:04 GMT 2013

All,

I recently tried the new "fedup" utility to upgrade my system from
Fedora 18 to Fedora 20 and while it seems to have worked ok, I find I
now have to use the "KDE Plasma Failsafe Workspace" login to get a
usable desktop rather then the standard "KDE Plasma Workspace" login
option.  If I use the standard login, I get a blurry task bar on the
bottom, my xterm windows are also blurred (highlighting them with the
mouse does allow me to see some characters), the window manager acts
strangely and various system control windows are blank unless
highlighted/moused over (I'm amazed at how much I remembered about where
various controls were).

I tried renaming my .kde directory to .kde.bck and signing back in, but
this didn't help.  I also tried creating a new ID from scratch --
signing on to the standard KDE with the new ID also got the weirdness
mentioned above.  That would seem to point to odd files in the common
system areas rather than the individual files.

Logging in with the failsafe option works well -- I get pretty much what
I expect.

What's the difference between the two?  (and a hearty THANK YOU! to
whoever thought to add a failsafe option to this!)  I'd like to fix the
standard KDE login, but am not sure where to look.  Any ideas?

The new version of KDE installed with fedup is 4.11.4-1.fc20.x86_64

Thanks in advance,

Richard Wilson