Why do you prefer KDE?

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 11:44:09 GMT 2013

As to why I prefer KDE and have used KDE almost exclusively as a desktop
since 2001.

First I will preface this with a disclaimer as what I have to say is a bit
controversial. There are many good desktops. Initially I was dismayed when
I heard Knoppix was moving away from KDE. However using LDXE on Knoppix I
was pleasantly surprised by LDXE and if I were to use another desktop at
this point and time LDXE would be my choice. Linux is freedom and power,
the choice of desktops is part of this. Different desktop managers appeal
to different people because of their different needs. No desktop is perfect
by any means. I gripe lots about certain things in KDE.

1. KDE offered me a chance to step into the power of Linux with a low
learning curve.

I started with Tandy, CPM & the other primitive PC operating systems of the
mid-80s. By the time I moved to Linux in 2000 I was suffering serious IDE
fatigue. Tired of learning yet another set of keystrokes, shortcuts and
menu configurations to do things I'd been doing for 15+ years at that
point. Multi-Mate, Word Perfect, Borland programming IDEs, Watcom,
Microsoft, and a zillion other programs. KDE software is very good about a
consistent UI across the software. One that usually matched what I had been
using for years in previous software. Thus with KDE I spent far more time
doing things and far less time trying to memorize yet another set of
keystrokes, shortcuts and menu configurations.

2. Best of breed apps.
While I use several Gnome apps as well as many apps which are desktop
independent, at least seven times out of ten, if I had a strong favourite
for an app it was a KDE app which was my favourite. For example, at the
time I discovered K3b there was no burner software which compared in power
and ease of use. Prior to switching to K3b I burned from the command line
as other Linux burners were buggy, unfriendly, seriously lacked features
and had such a horrific interface that the command line was far easier to
use. Today most Linux burner software mimics K3b but it was a KDE app which
set the standard for not just Linux but other operating systems which
eventually came to include features K3b had for years.

3. Community.
The old school Unix crowd may not realize it but they come off as arrogant,
unfriendly and contrite. The RTFM mantra is often a substitute for actual
discourse when it comes to providing feedback, suggestions and getting
help. When I first started using Linux I had many questions and I got good
answers from the KDE community. What I got from the Gnome community was
contempt. I was a noob and thus unworthy of their knowledge and help. This
left me with a really bad taste for Gnome. This attitude has driven many
potential Linux users back to Microserfdom. The KDE community lacks that
elitist attitude found in certain distros, in particular among the Gnome
crowd. Instead it is the friendly brawls that are normal for any gathering
of geeks to rejoice in our favourite bit crusher at this time.

4. Practical innovation
While I see a lot of things tried in other desktop managers, just because
you can do it, does not mean you should. Unity for example. Whoever
designed that should be shot, drawn and quartered, then burned at the stake
and their ashes scattered to the 4 winds just so they never touch a
computer again. The only good thing about Unity is that Microsoft could not
help but steal it and call it Windows 8. For once Microsoft's kleptomania
is biting them hard enough to really hurt.  Other desktops have pioneered
some good ideas which found their way into KDE but more often than not it's
KDE which comes up with the practical new way of doing things which winds
up in other desktops.

5. Graphics.
KDE has always been sleek and sexy. An electronic seductress if I've ever
known one. Gnome's graphics seem like an afterthought. Inconsistent and
toyish. Almost as primitive as Microsoft's lame efforts to look modern. If
I want to see what Microsoft and everyone else will be imitating 5 years
from now I need only look at what KDE is today.

6. Customization.
I like how easy it is to create a very customized desktop with Linux. There
are very few configuration options which only live in obscure files
residing in /etc or even deeper in some desktop specific dir. I can create
a desktop which is uniquely mine with ease.