[openSUSE] kdenlive

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 7 04:40:54 BST 2013

Anyone successfully using this? http://www.kdenlive.org/ remains down (since
Saturday at least), but I installed it anyway based on a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kdenlive. So far it is just as unintuitive and
useless very other "video editing" application I've tried, which is a bunch.

Just getting it installed was no fun. I tried it on 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3. On
12.1 it wouldn't install due to some obsolete mlt5 requirement with only a
newer mlt6 available. On 12.2 I only managed to get the older v0.6. On 12.3 I
first got a non-functional 0.9.4 because it required an older ffmpeg than the
one installed. By forcing to the 0.9.6 version from Packman it installed, but
without having pulled in various packages that I had no expectation of
needing (dvgrab, dvdauthor, genisoimage/mkisofs).

The obvious place to start, I would think, is to open a video file, so that's
what I tried. Since all the files I have that need commercials removed are
.ts files, apparently I need something less obvious than "file open", as its
file picker found none of my .ts files in the directories in which they are
located.

So, is this yet another program that can't remove commercials from video
transport stream files? If it can, how? Help doesn't work ("help center" not
installed, without mention of package name containing "help center"). Do I
have to "capture" from the .ts files before editing? Is some sort of filter
missing? The file picker filter list only has 3 entries, none of which I
recognize as a video file type. Is there a FAQ somewhere that's accessible
that lists the file types it can work with?

TIA

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/