Launcher does not launch.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Sep 21 09:18:35 BST 2012

Mauro posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:48:03 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 21 September 2012 08:44, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>> Mauro posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:12:30 +0200 as excerpted:

>>> Any help?
>>
>> I've no idea.
>>
>> (I don't run eclipse and am mainly just posting to let you know your
>> posts did make it.  Sometimes when there's no reply at all, people
>> wonder.)
>>
>> The best I could suggest would be posting to an eclipse list/forum/
>> whatever.  Hopefully someone else there runs kde and can at least
>> confirm whether they see the same problem.
>
> It is not an eclipse problem but launcher problem.
> Where can I found the launcher config to set correctly?

Oh, I thought you were talking about an eclipse mini-program.  Some
programs have such "loaders" that sit in the systray and keeps slow-
doesn't take so much time.  That used to be a reasonably common technique
back in the day, and it's still used sometimes.  There's a kde option to
keep an instance of konqueror (and dolphin AFAIK) loaded, tho they don't
show in the systray, they just stay loaded and hidden, so they can just
unhide and display the requested content when invoked, instead of having
to load.

With your clarification, I guess you're referring to the task-manager
plasmoid, which I don't actually use either, but which I've read lets you
setup launchers that will be replaced by the corresponding apps when
they're running.  But since I don't use it and you didn't specify, the
above systray idea came to mind first.

Altho I don't use it and thus won't be much help with task-manager
specifics, at least I can give you the standard kde config locations.
That should get you further than you were.

Look in $KDEHOME/share/config/* .  If the $KDEHOME environmental variable
isn't set (it's a mechanism available for the user to change the location
from the default, if desired), kde as shipped defaults to ~/.kde/ , but
some distros change that to ~/.kde4, so the normal location would be
~/.kde/share/config/* , but the .kde may have a 4 appended...  KDE config
files are normally standard ini-file format, [sections] followed by
key=value settings within the sections, blank lines and #-commented lines
get ignored.

Within the config subdir, the files you'd be interested in should be
either plasma* or task*.

The config for most plasmoids is stored in a file called
plasma-desktop-appletsrc.  However, this file stores the config for all
active containments (activities and panels), with all plasmoids
configured for each containment, in one overly large and complex file.
Be *SURE* and make a backup before you start editing, especially if
you've done a lot of customization you don't want to lose.  Ideally, this
would be multiple files in a directory tree, to keep things simpler and
more robust since a corruption would then just corrupt the single item,
not the entire thing, but obviously we're not working with ideal, here,
and the file's not exactly the sort of thing even most folks comfortable
hand-editing config files like to edit.  YMMV.

A few plasmoids have their own config files, however.  As the plasmoid in
question is task-manager, I'd look for files named task* as well.
Hopefully it's one of those and you don't have the headache of trying to
edit plasma-desktop-appletsrc.

It's also worth noting that some kde apps including some plasmoids, keep
additional data in appropriately named subdirs of $KDEHOME/share/apps/
too.  However, this is generally when there's a LOT of data, either in
number of files or size.  An example would be the comic-strip plasmoid
(which I do use), which keeps its individual comic-strip configs and
images there in one of the plasma* subdirs.  Most actual config, however,
is found in the config dir, as individual files, while the apps dir has
subdirs, which normally contain data files, not so much config files.