KDE Desktop effects

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Sep 17 20:13:42 BST 2012

On 09/17/2012 03:16 AM, Duncan wrote:
> But writing all the above made me think of another troubleshooting
> suggestion.  =:^)
>
> On the middle tab, try disabling ALL INDIVIDUAL effects (even the ones
> you don't want to do without, permanently, and that you believe should
> work).  Hit apply.
>
> Now on the advanced tab see if with all/individual/  effects disabled,
> you can successfully switch to opengl.
>
> Hopefully that works.  If so, you can try enabling individual effects one
> at a time and see what's killing it.  But, be prepared to crash and to
> edit/rename/delete kwinrc to get back into kde, if necessary, because the
> one you just tried isn't working, and with kwin's all-or-nothing approach
> back then, there IS a fair chance that when you enable that one, you'll
> trigger a crash and won't be able to get back into kde until that bit of
> the config is removed.
Did not work, but maybe there there is a clue here because this middle
tab is...
completely empty! There is a one-line text box into which you can type a
search term and a much
bigger box which presumably should contain a long list of effects which
I should be able to play with.
This is weird because the system clearly does know about available
effects because on the first tab I
have set (for example) : Effect for window switching to "Box Switch"
from a pick-list.

dE. wrote :

On 09/17/2012 02:57 PM, dE . wrote:
> Did you try this out with a new user

Yes and the result is all desktop effects are disable with a message on
the main tab of the desktop effects module which says:
"Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following
technical issues:" (Blank space below...)