krunner: broken font rendering

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 23:52:31 BST 2012

It seems that krunner displays fonts in a somewhat broken manner,
including "System Activity" (which is launched by krunner.)

To demonstrate, here's a screenshot of "System Activity" through krunner:

   http://i46.tinypic.com/2n7ktnq.png

Look at how "Shared Mem" is rendered, for example.

And here's the same process list display, but through "System Monitor":

   http://i50.tinypic.com/r23saq.png

Notice how "System Monitor" has correct font display.  I found out that
I can trigger the same bug in System Monitor if I launch it with:

   ksysguard -graphicssystem native

Then it looks like this:

   http://i45.tinypic.com/vwq53k.png

Look for example at how the word "Table" (in "Process Table") is
rendered compared to the previous screenshot.

Another application that has the same problem is KSnapshot.  And indeed,
if I launch it manually with:

   ksnapshot -graphicssystem raster

then the problem goes away.

In System Settings, in the Desktop Effects section's "Advanced" tab, I
have "Raster" set as the "Qt graphics system".  My Linux distro (Gentoo)
also has this set in the environment:

   QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster

So why is this happening?  How can I make krunner (and KSnapshot) use
the raster engine by default and not have broken font rendering?