KDE Desktop effects

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Fri Sep 14 19:59:15 BST 2012

I am not desperate to have all possible eye-candy operating, but I know
that my system is capable of reasonable performance with regard to stuff
like box-switching etc because it has worked before.

The system has an nvidia GeForce 7300 card and I am using the nvidia
(proprietary) driver. The KDE is 4.5.5 under Slackware 13.37 which is
the best I can run under Slack 13.37 without making some other
significant system changes.

Recently KDE allows me to use only the XRender compositing type which
provides a jerky experience if desktop effects are turned on. If I try
and switch to OpenGL I get "Failed to activate desktop effects using the
given config options" and it reverts to jerky Xrender. I have
re-installed the nvidia driver and am sure it is working OK because the
nvidia Server settings utility does what is expected (provides a cursor
shadow for example). This utility also reports all sorts of OpenGL
parameters and so it looks like OpenGL should work OK. Why is KDE not
playing nicely?

Thanks