Wrap Firefox in KDE app?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 27 00:01:55 BST 2012

Dotan Cohen posted on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:47:32 +0200 as excerpted:

> I would like to use different icons for each Firefox profile. Firefox
> does not seem to support this, but all KDE applications support by
> default the --icon flag. Is there a simple way to "wrap" a launcher to a
> specific Firefox profile in a KDE application so that it might be
> possible to change the icon?

Very interesting question!  I don't know the answer for sure, but your
question triggered a memory of a kde executable I'd seen, which looks
quite promising.  Please try the below and see if it does what you need,
then report back, as you have me curious too, now. =:^)

kstart [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] command

Of course it has the usual kde-app --help, --help-kde --help-qt --help-
all options, which you'd need to look at to see if it can do what you
need.  As I said a quick look looks promising, but you'll have to look
closer than I did and probably actually try it, to be sure.

The other alternative, which should work anywhere a *.desktop-based file
is the basis for launching (including the kickoff apps menu and many icon-
based launchers), /is/ a *.desktop file (or menu entry based on one).
This has the advantage of being a freedesktop.org standard, so should
work in DEs other than kde, as well, but won't work where *.desktop file
isn't used.

The key here would be to use firefox's -P <profile> option as the
command, not simply firefox, and to set a custom icon as desired.

You'd then clone that launcher item multiple times, changing the profile
and icon for each one.

I'd guess one or the other of these solutions should work.  Maybe both,
in which case you can take your pick. =:^)