THE kde desktop is slow...

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:39:47 BST 2012

On 10/11/12 01:57, Nathan England wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 7:59 AM, 杜秀涛 wrote:
>> Hi friends!I am using kde now, I just compiled it. every things seems
>> fine, but the speed...
>> tow problems:
>> 1. I takes long time to load the desktop successfully, from pressing
>> enter to I can see the beautiful desktop background-image, almost
>> takes 2 minutes;
>> 2. it often hangs for ten or 30 seconds to response to an mouse
>> action, For example, I want to open the konqueror ,or opera. both of
>> them takes long time to start up successfully. when they are
>> "starting", others actions will be affected slow down.
>>
>> here is some infos about my OS and kde
>> OS:Gentoo -- the os is totally on a flash disk with 16G capacity
>> KDE:4.9.2
>> Graphic:Intel Integrated Mobile 945GSE
>>
>> So, what could I do?
>> Thank you for your kindness patience in advance!
>>
> I would be willing to bet it is the flash disk at fault. I have built
> several systems using various kinds of flash devices for filesystems.
> I have always blamed it on KDE's use of tons of small files and poor
> small file performance of flash devices. Try moving all your temp
> directories to ram and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Try mounting /tmp and /var/tmp to a ramdisk and see if that makes a
> difference.
>
> My /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> tmpfs /tmp tmpfs mode=0777,size=24M,nosuid 0 0
> tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs mode=0777,size=24M,nosuid 0 0
>

> Try doing the same and let us know how it works.

Yes, the flash disk IS at fault. It gives problems even if you're using
Xfce.

Another thing you might try is clearing /var/tmp/kdecache-<your
username>/*; but this wont give issues unless your KDE installation is old.

You may try flash oriented FS; BTW reiserfs works the fastest on rootfs,
and reiser4 is ~15 times faster (search performance).