THE kde desktop is slow...

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 10 20:34:00 BST 2012

杜秀涛 wrote, On 10/10/2012 08:59 AM:
> Hi friends!I am using kde now, I just compiled it. every things seems
> fine, but the speed...
> tow problems:
> 1. I takes long time to load the desktop successfully, from pressing
> enter to I can see the beautiful desktop background-image, almost
> takes 2 minutes;
> 2. it often hangs for ten or 30 seconds to response to an mouse
> action, For example, I want to open the konqueror ,or opera. both of
> them takes long time to start up successfully. when they are
> "starting", others actions will be affected slow down.
>
> here is some infos about my OS and kde
> OS:Gentoo -- the os is totally on a flash disk with 16G capacity
> KDE:4.9.2
> Graphic:Intel Integrated Mobile 945GSE
>
> So, what could I do?
> Thank you for your kindness patience in advance!

massive login latencies (1-2 min) are often the cause of DNS or
network i/f issues...  Make sure your resolv.conf is happy, and that
your network interfaces are as well (make sure that your loopback
i/f is active)

Check in the .xsession-errors file for any obvious problems.

quickly...

    host www.google.com
    host $(hostname)
    ping localhost
    ping 127.0.0.1
    ping $(hostname)
    netstat -in

if any of those are taking a long time, you probably have a network issue)

in xterm or konsole, also check :
    echo $DISPLAY
should be :0.0 (don't ever globally directly set DISPLAY.  Change it
only for a specific instance manually and interactively as needed)

I'm not sure about issues you may be facing booting from flash-disk,
but if you're *swapping* to flash disk, that may ultimately create a
VERY slow flash disk.

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/