passive, non-intrusive progress bar?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Tue Nov 20 23:12:39 GMT 2012

Kevin Krammer:
> On Saturday, 2012-11-10, adrelanos wrote:
>
>>> If you have the option of implementing your solution in a scripting
>>> language with D-Bus support, then it should be possible to access that
>>> part of the desktop directly.
>>> The D-Bus name for the service is org.kde.JobViewServer, but I am not
>>> entirely sure how it is being used (I only had a cursory glance at the
>>> code in kdelibs that uses it).
>>
>> Looks quite difficult. There is very few reference about
>> org.kde.JobViewServer on google.
>
> Yeah, probably would require to study code already using it.
>
> I saw someone already voiced interest in implementing that, so maybe we'll see
> support for that in kdialog at some point.
>
> Can I ask what kind of progress you would visualize like that?

Yes.

The whonixcheck script (downloads many different files, waits for a
status file to appear, runs apt-get update, measures progress in total)
https://github.com/adrelanos/Whonix/blob/master/whonix_shared/usr/local/bin/whonixcheck
http://whonix.sourceforge.net/screenshots/whonixcheck_gui.png
http://whonix.sourceforge.net/screenshots/whonixcheck_progress.png

The timesync script (waits for a status file to appear)
https://github.com/adrelanos/Whonix/blob/master/whonix_shared/usr/local/bin/timesync
http://whonix.sourceforge.net/screenshots/timesync_gui.png
http://whonix.sourceforge.net/screenshots/timesync_progress.png

And the torbrowser download script