Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 19:43:18 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 18.11.2012 20:05, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Martin (KDE) wrote:

> >> What do I have to migrate then?
> >
> > For example there could be data that has not yet been written to its
> > backend. That would be the case if Akonadi is shut down (e.g. due to
> > logout) while one of the resources that had user changes was not online
> > (e.g. could not connect to its server).
> >
> > There could also be meta data that a backend was not able to handle
> > itself, e.g. read/unread status of emails from an mbox file.
> >
> > While discarding of meta data would be no more than an annoyance,
> > discarding of uncommitted changes could be (an uncommitted deleted would
> > be just an annoyance and uncommitted add not so much).
>
> So, if I want to switch from mysql to sqlite I have to

- check that there aren't any unsaved changes. all resources must be online,
no Akonadi clients attempt changes anymore, the resource's change recorder
files are empty.

> - stop akonadi
> - wait a few seconds to let akonadi sync
> - switch to sqlite
> - start akonadi
>
> With imap and maildir all should be the same as before.

Data should be the same as before for all backends, meta data will vary
depending on backend.

> Is there a backup thingy that creates pure sql statements to migrate the
> data?

I doubt that SQL dumped from MySQL will be understood by anything other than
MySQL.
I think the Akonaditray utility can trigger a MySQL dump, the mysql client or
any MySQL GUI can most likely do the same.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring