Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 19:05:03 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 18.11.2012 11:52, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > If a switch in default backend would have to propagate to the user
> > installations, this would require some changes in the user home
> > directories as well (moving stuff from one database to another).
> > I am quite certain that the upstream default regarding backend hasn't
> > changed, so any distribution changing the default will either have
> > deployed a migration process of some sort anyway or leave existing
> > setups untouched by choice in order not to have to.
>
> Hm, I am a little bit astonished here. If the data in the mysql database
> is cache only data, then simply changing the configuration should do the
> trick. I would have two caches laying around, but thats it.

True for the read cache, not so true for the write cache.

> What do I have to migrate then?

For example there could be data that has not yet been written to its backend.
That would be the case if Akonadi is shut down (e.g. due to logout) while one
of the resources that had user changes was not online (e.g. could not connect
to its server).

There could also be meta data that a backend was not able to handle itself,
e.g. read/unread status of emails from an mbox file.

While discarding of meta data would be no more than an annoyance, discarding
of uncommitted changes could be (an uncommitted deleted would be just an
annoyance and uncommitted add not so much).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring