Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 10:36:32 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Duncan wrote:

> I read something from one of the kde devs, I'm not sure where or which
> dev, but...
>
> They mentioned that the reason the "semantic desktop" stuff got as BIG a
> push as it did, back with early kde4, was that one of the European
> governments had sponsored the work with a grant (they said which
> government but I'm USian so forgot that detail, IIRC it was primarily
> city or region, tho, not national, tho national might have been match-
> funding).

It (Nepomuk) was an EU research project. The KDE part is actually just one of
several research deliveries, called Nepomuk-desktop IIRC:
One of the participating companies, Mandriva, was responsible for that part of
the work and hired Sebastian TrĂ¼g to do it.
He's now working for the company producing Virtuoso but doesn't have much time
for work on Nepomuk-KDE.
Fortunately, Vishesh Handa, one of KDE's Google Summer of Code students who
worked on Nepomuk-KDE as part of GSOC, took over maintainership a while ago
and is now (very recently) employed by Blue Systems to work on Nepomuk-KDE
pretty much full time.

Some of the non-code research deliverables, e.g. semantic ontologies, are
being used by other projects as well, e.g. tracker.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring