Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 09:16:46 GMT 2012

Hi :)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:23:50 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> With all the hassles added by Akonadi and Nepomuk and Strigi for some
>> higher "social/semantic desktop" purpose, does anyone actually _use_ the
>> stuff?

[...]

>> So what's happening with this grand vision?
>
> My honest opinion?  In general, it's a tool for those that really aren't
> comfortable with "traditional" computers and the way they work.  The kind
> that has so many icons on their (traditional icon-based) desktop they
> don't all fit, because that's the only place they can find things.

[...]

> Vs. a more "computer literate" person, who would handle it this way:

[...]

> So yes indeed, I perhaps more than most, tend to hate semantic-desktop
> and the bugs and dead-weight bloat it has saddled kde4 with, and I'm
> definitely glad to be able to be rid of it here!
>
> But even with that, I recognize that for people of a type far different
> than me, people who really don't understand computers and who tend to
> spend more time fighting them or at best, simply following rote "magic"
> that they've found works, than actually working with and understanding
> how and why the computer works as it does, for THESE people, semantic-
> desktop may be a very useful tool indeed!
>
> So there's a time and a place for those semantic-desktop features.  But
> that time and place is about as far removed from me and my systems and
> it's possible to get!

Well Duncan, I agree with you in that there are two types of people,
that I _don't_ like the semantic desktop and I'm also a Gentoo user
(and Archer). But, IMHO, the devs could have made it possible to
deactivate the semantic desktop for those who don't need/like it. I'm
saying "could" and not should, IOW: not giving orders, it's just MHO
;)

It would've been nice to have the new KDE-PIM with an option to
activate or deactivate all the nepomuk, akonadi stuff. Even more:
install it preactivated for those "non-geeks" and let us deactivate
it. I understand there are limited resources in the dev world and that
it's not so easy to do. That's why I don't come grumbling and whining.
I'm no dev (I've tried but ... not good at it) so I sincerely respect
the hard work and time they've put into the new KDE-PIM suite.

I, for one, think KMail was a wonderful e-mail client. I've tried usin
claws, TB, even evolution (OMG!) ... but no way: KMail was way better
(IMHO). Tried to migrate over to KMail2 and had lots of issues so now
I use a web browser ... :( I must admit I try KMail2 once in a while
but I have the same issue most posters comment, I'll give a try in
4.10 again.

Akgregator and kaddressbook are really useful but they depend on
Akonadi ... I do use them since I've been able to import all my old
data without issues and they don't hog up my drive nor CPU :) But
KMail2 is overkill :(

Summ'ing up: nope, I don't use semantic and I don't like it. This, of
course, is MHO. Still think KDE is the best desktop :)

   Rafa