Fw: KDE3 - KDE4 - hot plug discs ?

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 15:54:19 BST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----

 Sorry about cross posting Ann. Someone  mentioned 2 kde4 "reported
 bugs"
 under dual monitors and not related to monitors. My post pointed out
 that one was really a feature request and suggested where to go to
 suggest it - kde forum. The other I suspect is actually down to a change in what
 might be loosely called the fstab area ie nothing to do with
 kde.

 I have to top post elsewhere far more often than btm. Different things please
 different people in this respect. I wish people would only reply to kde and
not to posters - if this message's formar is garbled that's why. I've had to
resend it to kde.

 I switched my email from rich to plain text while writing it - I suspect
 that explains the crop. Really people shouldn't need to complain about
 rich text emails - they are a long way from html. :-) Anyway at least I
 try to remember. Yahoo mail now seems to retaining the setting.

 On my NAS I mentioned this some time ago. I read / write / modify files on it.
 KDE network folder attach was 2nd best. I had problems r/w/m with
 certain apps. Samba was incredibly slow especially navigating
 directories - takes a while to show sub directories, A bit like using
 ftp servers on internet day 1 via a low speed acoustic modem - yes I
 have done that. CIFs is directly supported by the kernel so everything
 appears to be a normal source of files for all apps. It's also fast
 although I believe nfs is even quicker. The only problem with mount cifs is what
 samba have done to it - they have been asked if it's secure
 many times - no one knows so it's crippled. At the moment this can be
 undone by downloading and rebuilding mount cifs after setting 2 options. May not
 last though as the latest greatest on opensuse is split in 2,
 mount.cifs and mount.cifs,install. It's a pity distro's don't build
 usrmount.cifs so that it would work and could be removed by people that
 don't want it. It seems cifs was added to the kernel many moons ago for
 diskless workstation type use. Hence it needed to be fast. I have no
 idea if it r/w locks multiple users but for my use that doesn't matter. I
 suspect it will as that looks to be a low level function.

 I mount and unmount manually when needed mostly to avoid rather long file search
 times off my home directory. I could auto mount what I do now. I made a
 suggestion on kde forums of
 adding selective directory search - don't search options/invert
 selection to dolphin. It seemed to get through the selection process but I have
 no idea if it has been implemented / which releases. Both samba
 and kde attach vastly increase boot up times. Not important really as I
 don't reboot often but irritating when I do.

 On the read/write/modify and kde apps there seems to be an impending
 problem. Not all apps that people run are kde ones. KDE seems to have a
 launch facility that specifies where a file that is being worked on can
 reside. I suspect this may be in preparation for running remote apps
 maybe but I would expect all of those to be web based or have an
 installled part that looks after that sort of thing. Anyway I spent many hours
 playing with settings but couldn't get gimp,vlc,lroffice and one
 or two other apps to work as I wanted. From error messages this seems to be down
 to the fact that the work files were located on the network. OK but I think
 users must be given an easy option of over riding that
 aspect - in fact I'm more inclined to wonder why on earth KDE does it.
 Access rights are intended to look after security. Same with mount.cifs. :-)
 Maybe it's unfortunate that mount.cifs can be set up to run remote
 apps but again rights can fix that as can the compile I believe but
 maybe that's gone. I didn't look.

 :-) I'm tempted to comment on an attempt to write a noddy program to ask for
 my nas password, log onto
 the nas, mount a folder to it, open a dolphin window and disconnect when I
 closed it. Quickly found that older kde noddy aids for doing this
 sort of thing don't work anymore and all is not what it seems at higher
 levels. Even Kevin's suggestion on that score was way out of date. Also
 looked like the dolphin launch aspect was not as it should be.
 Documentation - zero really at the time.

 Remote folders in a folder - sounds like a fix for one of the complaints
 mentioned earlier.

 John

 Please excuse any odd typo's - whipped this up rather quickly.