How to setup dual monitor in kde?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 29 03:50:33 BST 2012

James posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 20:40:22 -0400 as excerpted:

James posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 20:40:22 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 05/28/12 19:34, Duncan wrote:
>> bjlockie posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 13:39:53 -0400 as excerpted:
>>
>>> Duncan posted...

>>> Are there instructions for doing that?
>>
>> On gentoo?  It's just standard gentoo USE flags, in general.  The two
>> catches for gentooers are that (1) the semantic-desktop USE flag is an
>> "=" dependency, meaning that to turn it off anywhere in kde you must
>> turn it off for everything (that's actually somewhat stricter than the
>> upstream kde requirements, AFAIK, where if you have it on in say
>> dolphin you have to have it on in kdelibs, but to have it on in kdelibs
>> doesn't require it in dolphin), and that (2) because pretty much all of
>> kdepim requires kdepim-common-libs, kdepim-common-libs in turn requires
>> akonadi (akonadi-server on gentoo), and akonadi in turn requires
>> USE=semantic- desktop, in ordered to turn semantic-desktop off on
>> gentoo you pretty much cannot have anything kdepim (including kmail,
>> akregator, kaddressbook, knode, korganizer, etc) installed -- you gotta
>> use something else for them.
>>
>> Then once you turn off USE=semantic-desktop, an emerge --depclean peels
>> away a lot of dependencies, and once those are peeled away, other
>> formerly required USE flags (like rasqual) can be turned off, which in
>> turn allows emerge --depclean to clean out even more formerly required
>> packages.
>>
>> Building from source manually or using non-gentoo scripts? [snip]
>>

> If I remove sematic-desktop from /etc/make.conf, will anything put it
> back?

OK, so gentoo (or perhaps funtoo or...) then.  Good.  That's easier.

FWIW, here what I did is set -semantic-desktop, not simply remove it. That
way if anything has it set as a package-default-use, the specific negative
use flag overrides, where simply having it not set won't.

With the other, related flags (which generally decide which backends get
built, without semantic-desktop the backends aren't needed either):

-semantic-desktop -raptor -redland -virtuoso

Also -clucene and -hyperestraier, but depending on what else you have
installed (especially web-app packages), you may need to keep these on, or
set the use in make.conf one way and setup package.use for whatever
packages you might want the other.

Meanwhile, FWIW, I don't have all kde installed.  What I do is take the
sets from the kde overlay (I have the portage 2.2 series unmasked here,
for full sets support), copy them to /etc/portage/sets and rename them
with my initials so I can tell mine from the default overlay sets, then I
edit them.  All library lines get commented (see below for why I don't
simply delete them) as they'll be pulled in by apps that need them.  Apps
lines I don't want/need or that I /know/ are deps of something else listed
also get commented.

Every six-month feature upgrade, so from 4.7 to 4.8, for instance, kde
upstream changes some of the names, so gentoo does as well.  Sometimes
individual packages will switch sets (so from say kde-utils to kde-
graphics or something) too.  Before I do that upgrade, I diff the new set
against my initialed set, so I can see what packages got added/deleted,
look up what a new package does if necessary, then add that line,
commented or uncommented, to my edited set, as well.  By keeping the
commented package lines in the set, it keeps the lines lined up between my
edited copy and the sets from the overlay, so it's easier to see what
changed.

If you don't have the overlay installed or haven't unmasked portage 2.2 so
don't yet have full sets support, you could do the same with the
metapackages (kdemultimedia-meta, etc), and just copy them to your local
overlay.  I just happened to get started with the sets first, when gentoo
kde4 was still overlay-only, so that's what I continue to use.

The main reason I mention all that, is so you'll understand the following
lists, generated by equery.  There's likely a few additional kde packages
that have the semantic-desktop use flag, for instance.  I just don't have
them installed so they don't show up in the equery.

Here's the list of my packages using semantic-desktop.  Your list will
likely differ some as you'll have different packages installed:

equery h semantic-desktop:

[IP-] [  ] kde-base/dolphin-4.8.3-r1:4 [IP-] [  ]
kde-base/gwenview-4.8.3:4 [IP-] [  ] kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.8.3:4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3:4 [IP-] [  ]
kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.8.3:4 [IP-] [  ]
kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.8.3:4 [IP-] [  ] kde-base/pykde4-4.8.3:4

equery h raptor (returns nothing, no packages installed with that use flag
now)

equery h redland (nothing)

equery h virtuoso (nothing)

With no packages showing those flags, I could actually remove them from my
make.conf, but after turning off semantic-desktop, there were still some
packages with them, and turning off those flags and then doing an emerge
--newuse @world let me remove a bit more, then a bit more...

As I said, no soprano (tho if you have any koffice/calligra apps installed
(I was using krita for awhile, decided to switch to the gimp), you'll
probably need to keep it, as AFAIK, those apps need soprano at build time
-- hard dep, can't be removed.  Soprano's actually the package that had
the raptor, redland and virtuoso flags, so while I had krita installed and
had to keep soprano for it, I had all the soprano backends turned off.

equery h clucene returns only strigi, here.  As mentioned earlier, strigi
is a hard-dep for kdelibs, so I can't unmerge it.  But it doesn't need
backends!

equery h hyperestraier also only strigi.

equery d strigi (d=depends):

kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3 (>=app-misc/strigi-0.7.7)

So as I said, kdelibs needs strigi...

Mysql:  kde used to require mysql for akonadi, among other things, but
that was back in about the 4.4 era...  The default backend for akonadi-
server switched to sqlite, and something else semantic-desktop related
that used to require it switched to virtuoso by default, so mainline kde
hasn't required mysql for sometime.  Except: there was a quirk in the
akonadi user config that would still try to use mysql if a user had been
using it previously.  That was in the USER config (in /home/), NOT the
system config (where as I said the default switched to sqlite and
virtuoso), and changing it for user that had run with the mysql default
required editing their user config.

But if you're getting rid of semantic-desktop anyway, that means no
akonadi, which means you better have switched off of anything like kmail,
etc, already, so that bit shouldn't affect you.

HOWEVER:  If you have amarok installed, it *DOES* still require mysql,
AFAIK.  I don't, and I had switched off of mysql as a backend for anything
kde long before I turned off semantic-desktop here and unmerged mysql
then, so it wasn't involved at all when I turned off semantic- desktop.
But it might be for some people, AND, some people may still need it, for
amarok or for non-kde apps.  So be careful on that one, which you'll have
to do your own checking on.

equery l shared-desktop-ontologies: nothing.  Another package you should
be able to remove.

Do it a step at a time.  First, kill any kdepim if you need to.  Then
switch semantic-desktop and do an emerge --newuse @world to get it off of
everything.  Then emerge --depclean.  Then try turning off the other
flags and/or removing soprano and the various backends.

When you're all done, do a final emerge --newuse @world, revdep-rebuild,
and emerge --depclean, just to be sure you got everything and everything
is rebuilt minus those dependencies that needs to be.

One more thing:  This is the contents of the kdepim-4.8 set from the kde
overlay:

>=kde-base/akonadiconsole-4.7.50
>=kde-base/akregator-4.7.50
>=kde-base/blogilo-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kabcclient-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kaddressbook-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kalarm-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-common-libs-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-icons-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-kresources-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-strigi-analyzer-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-runtime-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kjots-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kleopatra-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kmail-4.7.50
>=kde-base/knode-4.7.50
>=kde-base/knotes-4.7.50
>=kde-base/konsolekalendar-4.7.50
>=kde-base/kontact-4.7.50
>=kde-base/korganizer-4.7.50
>=kde-base/ktimetracker-4.7.50

If you use any of those packages, be SURE and migrate off of them to
something else, before attempting to turn off semantic-desktop, kill
akonadi, etc.  Not all of them (yet) require akonadi directly, but I think
all of them require kdepim-common-libs, which in turn does require
akonadi-server, which in turn requires USE=semantic-desktop, which since
it's an "=" dep forces it on for all of kde.  So you can't turn off
semantic-desktop at all, without removing all of kdepim and akonadi. THEN
you can turn it off.

Oh, and one last request.  Once you have all this stuff turned off,
please do post a followup here and tell me if you're seeing as dramatic a
performance improvement as I did.  I really don't know if it's going to
make as much difference for you as it did for me, but I CAN say this, I
was EXTREMELY surprised, and VERY HAPPILY SO, at what a difference it
made here.  I would very much like either confirmation, or someone
telling me that it really didn't make that much difference for them, as I
really don't want to be making claims that others can't reproduce as
well.  All I know for sure is that it made enough of a difference here
that I really WAS shocked.  My first computer of my own was a 486, and I
trained on minicomps before that, so I've been on computers for decades
now, and at least for me, that was one of the most significant
differences in behavior I've seen that wasn't due to cleaning malware or
a hardware upgrade, ever.  If it's ANYTHING close to that for others,
they should be glad they made the switch, but I honestly don't KNOW that
it will be at this point.  All I know is my own experience.  So having
either a confirmation thereof or an OK, but no big deal, would be truly
valuable to me.  Thanks. =:^)