Tell who did you PAY to include Akonadi?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 31 22:40:42 BST 2012

Felix Miata posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:18:58 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 2012/03/31 08:20 (GMT) Duncan composed:
>
>> I wonder if there's a kde4-desktop-based binary distro somewhere that
>> never-the-less defaults to disabling at build-time all the semantic-
>> desktop stuff
>
> A simple non-semantic option (not default) apparently is in the works
> for openSUSE:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-03/msg00675.html

Very cool indeed! =:^)

As I explained, many of the choices must be made at build-time, implying
that distros must choose at build-time to support or not, and since
"support all possible features as /someone/ will want them" tends to be
the natural default, that's the default most distros are likely to ship.

Which leaves an opening for a distro that emphasizes NOT turning such
stuff on, especially when it comes with the costs that semantic-desktop
does in kde.  That's what I expected.

This solution, instead, seems to be an alternate OpenSuSE package set
that turns this stuff off.  I had figured that would be seen as too much
complexity for the distro to support, but it seems OpenSuSE is continuing
to innovate in this area among others (the build-service, etc).  That's a
pleasant surprise indeed, tho in hindsight, it does fit in reasonably
well with the other stuff (like the build service) that OpenSuSE is
doing, and in fact, from a purely external viewpoint, I'd say the
probability that the build service was used for this project is pretty
high.  But it's exactly the sort of innovation that from what I've read,
they have in mind with the provision of the build service in the first
place.

So major kudos! =:^)